Tuesday 17 February 2015

I'm a (re)believer

Let's roll out all of the cliches. Bring them on. All of them. I WILL get carried away because for the first time in what feels like a lifetime I sang 'I'm a Believer' at a Wigan match and I had a bit of faith in what I was singing.

So it's onwards and upwards from here. This is where our season starts. Winning momentum is with us. A new side is starting to gel. We've got the experience of a relegation battle.

But this next cliche is probably the one that Malky Mackay and the players should take most note of: you're only as good as your last game. And if we don't beat Charlton at home on Friday night, tonight's three points at Reading are pretty useless; we have to follow it up with consistency.



For now let's bloody enjoy it. The 198 of us at the Madejski endured some nerve-wracking moments; particularly in that questionable 11 minutes of added time. But that relief at the full-time whistle...oh my! Remarkably, it has taken me until February 17 to see us win a game this season and I will bask in its glory.

There were some huge positives aside from the obvious three points. Harry Maguire was the stand out performer for me. That sort of accolade isn't usually handed out to defenders, but when you're 23rd in the table a clean sheet is as good as your striker scoring a hat-trick.

Jason Pearce linked up with Maguire really well and it was his goal that has given Wigan fans a glimpse of belief that a good old-fashioned Latics comeback is on.

Leon Clarke had another good game. He chases every ball and his physical presence is surprising a few. It was an uncharacteristically poor night from James McClean but I think we can allow him an off-day given his contributions this season.

I've been wavering between writing us off and thinking we can still pull off survival. Before I left for tonight's game I said I would decide if I was an optimist or pessimist on full-time. So it's official: right now I'm a believer again. Just don't let us down now, boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment